The Diary of a Commuter

Thursday 13 December 2007

Dictionary of a Commuter

TOTTERDIGE (v)
The sideways shuffle towards the door of a tube train as it arrives at the platform, blocking off the person behind you, thus ensuring a greater chance of boarding the already full train. Not to be confused with the edgware (v)

EDGWARE (v)
A last minute gambit. An attempt to leap into onto a packed tube train just as the doors are closing, forcing your way in and usually causing a hampstead (n)

HAMPSTEAD (n)
A virtually inaudible grunt of disapproval, which serves as a completely useless protest with little or no effect. A ripple of hampsteads will typically spread through a line of people waiting to top up their Oyster cards when a bunch of German tourists push in.

SHADWELL (n)
The split second “shall I, shan’t I” decision, which precedes the edgware (v)

6 comments:

dulwichmum said...

Have a lovely Christmas and New Year Mr Dulwich Dad,

DM X

Sparx said...

Hi Dulwich Dad! I still have a copy of the Meaning of Liff and this is a highly enjoyable companion! Haven't been by to visit in a while, am going to settle in for a long catching up.

Anonymous said...

Dude you sound exactly like me, late thirties, self employed two young children, half working wife etc.
Juggling all of the above, spread too thinly, not doing any of them particularly well. The only difference is that I didn't have the patience to pay off the mortgage in East Dulwich before bailing out. I moved the family to a small village in the French alps where my house is three times bigger and cost one sixth as much as my house in East Dulwich.

Anyway...yes the 'Wanstead' I thought that was just me.

Anonymous said...

By the way, my amazement that you have time to maintain a blog with all your other responsibilities is eclipsed only by my amazement that I had time to comment on it..........twice.

Anonymous said...

By the way, my amazement that you have time to maintain a blog with all your other responsibilities is eclipsed only by my amazement that I had time to comment on it..........twice.

dulwichmum said...

Come on now, where have you gone? I am waiting... Please sir, can we have some more?