The Diary of a Commuter

Sunday 1 July 2007

In The Night Garden

I certainly didn't expect my wife to lace my Sunday night gin & tonic with an acid trip, but it was a lovely surprise. I think was just her way of saying thanks for being such a good hubbydaddy. And so, with dusk descending slowly over East Dulwich, and a steady rain just beginning to lop gently against the faux Victorian framework of the living room window, I felt the tired yet warm satisfaction of a man who had surpassed all that was asked of him this weekend. Let me explain.

We have recently had the garden done, and the diary for Saturday and Sunday was filled with activity for Daddy. Fetching of gravel, shifting of soil, lifting of palm trees, carrying of stuff and spending of money. I also had to fit in Harry's Little Kickers class plus a supermarket trip, feed the kids, feed my wife, grab a bottle of Masciarelli rose from green & Blue and pick up disc 2 Season 1 of 24 from Film Night (we’re a bit behind). All tasks successfully completed I finally crashed onto the leather sofa with Harry to catch up on some important pre-bedtime kids TV.

It was at this point that the LSD kicked in, and it was clearly "good shit". I began to experience the most intense mind-bending colours, bizarre shapes, balloon people, wild music. Plus the whole experience seemed to come with it's own narrative - Sir Derek Jacobi if i was not mistaken. I was transfixed. It was going off.

Or at least, that’s what I thought was happening.

“That’s Pinky Ponk, that one’s Makka Pakka, and they’re the Harboos.” said Harry

It turns out I wasn’t tripping, I was in fact watching “In The Nightgarden”. I immediately removed the spectrum sunglasses.

Being a parent means you become, by default, a bit of an aficionado of kids TV. Some of it is OK, but most of it is frankly shit. The Tweenies for example. I hate the Tweenies, I want to punch them all - especially Jake for making Harry say words like "broked" instead of "broken" and "seed" instead of "saw" - what the f**k are they playing at? Likewise Tikkabilla is simply offensive.

In The Nightgarden is not shit - it is genius. Here is a show, thankfully, that seems to hark back to the good old days. My childhood was peppered with inventive, pseudo drug-influenced programmes. Mr Ben, Chorlton and the Wheelies, The Herbs (the clue was in the title). Then of course there was Magic Roundabout with more drug references than you could shake a stick at, The Clangers and the brilliant Rhubarb and Custard - the list goes on.

These were shows made by people who were either on copious amounts of mind altering drugs, or who knew people who were on copious amounts of mind altering drugs. They appealed directly and perfectly to that part of the brain that only a child can possibly make any sense of, and we were transfixed. I'm not suggesting for one moment that young upcoming TV producers need to start sucking on the sugar cubes - they just need to get a little silly again.

In The Nightgarden is a step in the right direction.

So as the Tombliboos snuggled down to bed I realised that sadly my wife had not dropped a couple of Smiley's into my drink, it was just a normal G&T, made the way I like it - lots of ice, lots of lemon, lots of gin.

Resourceful as my wife may be, I imagine even she would find it difficult to get her hands on LSD in Dulwich.

9 comments:

Rosie said...

Thank you for explaining The Nightgarden. I am a little embarrassed that my 3 year old seems to understand it yet I thought we'd switched onto some dodgy TV channel. But if you think that's bad you should look at the interactive game on the Cbeebies website which will really make your head spin. I agree with your comments. Sadly it has come too late for us. It's Tweenies everything at the moment and quite unbearable.

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Oh dear - you poor thing. Thanks for your response, however I feel I really can't explain the Nightgarden - mind you, i thin k that's point! Nice to hear from you - do you have a blog, I can't seem to access it?

best
DD

Working Mum said...

You wouldn't believe how many mum and dad blogs I've visited lately where they are debating the merits and/or hallucinogenic properties of this simply wonderful show. couldn't agree more with you about the general standard of cbeebies fare!

Scruffy Mummy said...

I love it too but unfortunately I can't get the damm theme tune out of my head!

Richard Freeman said...

Love the post...just worry a lot about the amount of iggle piggle toys coming out this Christmas - my son is already down for the action trike!

Anonymous said...

In THe Night Garden has accelerated my childs desire for commercial interest, at just 19 months, when asked what she woudl like for Christmas (a concept she doesnt even understand) all she would say she wanted was "NONK!" "NOOONK". 45 Minutes of queing in Borders later, and we had the Ninky Nonk toy in question. Good Christmas all around...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for saying what I suspected but could not verify. As a parent who grew more or less without TV/ good music , I tried really hard to understand first Teletubbies and recently "In the nightgarden". I reached that LSD conclusion recently - yes, after playing the "Nightgarden game" on the BBC web-site.
For some reason that conclusion also makes me more tollerant to the drug-takers and grateful for their contribution. It's their life they pay with to give us art - I mean lots of great music from the 60-s onward, modern art - see D.Hirst; and even these cute TV shows. The last are most likely the only ones with "pseudo" word attached - since the kiddy-shows supposingly are done by psychologists, not drug-takers.

Anonymous said...

I'm watching Night Garden now. The first time I saw it was with a hangover and I found it very disturbing. There is something frenetic and slightly scary about it. I found your comments searching for 'night garden + drugs'. I am glad I am not alone.

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Dear Anonymous,

like your search techniques - "ITNG + drugs" - guaranteed to bring up something interesting