The Diary of a Commuter

Friday 18 May 2007

Can I See The Wine List Please?

It’s frightening how quickly the time is flying by. Things are really beginning to change with our little girl and change quickly. Each day seems to bring some new development, a new look or expression, a slightly different tone of squeal, and more and more giggling. A personality is slowly emerging; piece-by-piece she is becoming a person. As I looked at Jess this morning, it seems that she’s taking everything in, yet there must surely be a stage at which memories begin to be properly recorded, and I wondered when that happens. I tried today to recall my earliest memory. I can’t seem to get beyond riding my old red bike up and down the street outside our house as a child, about the age of three or four. Still, it would seem that everything going on around her at the moment, from sights and sounds to the feel of the wind on her face is being stored onto her internal hard disk for some unknown use at a later date. Anyway, today was a big day in the culinary department, for today she got her first taste of solid food. Well, more like mushed up, less runny food, but still a hell of a lot tastier than milk. She got puréed sweet potato for her maiden voyage into grown up tucker, and mighty tasty it was too (well, I had to try it). Her initial expression, as we spooned it lovingly into her cake hole, was one of sheer disgust. Then she chomped a bit, then a bit more, and we watched that expression turn quickly to her usual one of bemused joy. By the end of the meal (approx 10 spoonfuls) it quickly became clear that this was going to be a slightly messier yet much more enjoyable experience for both her and us.

3 comments:

dulwichmum said...

Dear Dulwich Dad,

You really do sound super perfect... sigh. I think I shall open another bottle of Chablis to drown my sorrows. I am insanely jealous! My darling husband loves the babies very well, but he is abroad again and misses so much.

DM

Unknown said...

excuse me but it was no "old red bike", it was brand new and cost me £10 from the cash and carry, half a week's wages in those days!
dulwich grandad

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Sorry Father, i did love it though.