The Diary of a Commuter

Thursday 24 May 2007

Number Crunching

I'm a great believer in karma, and so far it seems to be a system that works. At a recent house party a girl whom I'd never met before asked me a question I've never been asked before. I did, however, have the answer immediately to hand. The question she asked me was this - "What's your mantra?” Not the usual opening gambit for a conversation I grant you, but what surprised me more was my almost immediate response. I said, "Always do the right thing."

Now I'm not suggesting for one minute that everything I’ve ever done in my life is the right thing, in I can categorically state that most of the decisions I took in my formative years were very probably the wrong thing. However as I have begun to approach middle age I feel myself moving much more towards a benevolent state of mind, perhaps facilitated by having kids, a bit more worldly knowledge or probably a bit more cash.

This tenuously leads into the point of this particular blog, which is this - my new Audi has a tow bar, and it almost annoys the hell out of me. The reason it almost annoys the hell out of me is that it is conveniently placed at exactly the right height to ensure that I totally and perfectly destroy other motorists front number plates whilst reversing into the extremely hard to find and very tight parking spaces to be found around 7.45am near Herne Hill Station.

Each time I have done this (and I've done it quite a lot), I have left a note apologising, offering to pay and of course leaving my mobile number. Most of the time people get in touch, glad of my honesty. On some occasions however I hear nothing, presumably because they think I’m mental.

The point is I've found that going through this strange little circle of events has begun to create inside me an enormous sense of well being, and it all feels rather good.

I suppose I should simply remove the tow bar, but then that would mess up the karma, wouldn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! So it was you who totalled the plate on my silver Mini! Tsk tsk!!

Lol - I'm just laughing at the (painful) memory of attempting to park anywhere in Herne Hill. I would frequently return to the car to find my wing mirror totalled and nary a note.

Your karma is good, mate - well done you. :-)

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Spymum

Would love to check out your blog but can't seem to access it - what's your url?

DD