The Diary of a Commuter

Wednesday 9 May 2007

Mind Your Head

There were lots of cool things around for kids when I was born. Space Hoppers, Sherbet Dip, Tin Can Alley and The Grifter (the thinking man’s Chopper). One of the things that they definitely didn’t have was cranial osteopathy, at least not down our way. Times change however, and today I took our little princess to have her bonce inspected. Homeopathy has made a big comeback recently, and lots of our friends had recommended having a cranial osteopath examine her noodle as soon after birth as possible. Baby’s heads do funny things as they’re being born. The skull plates kind of fold under each other to allow safe passage out, and they arrive with a kind of squidgy head. Apparently a good cranial osteopath can perform a marvellously delicate massage which helps guide all the bits back into the right place.The journey there was an event in itself. It was just Jess and myself (Becca was having some well earned girl-time at the hairdressers). Off I trotted with my bag full of wipes, nappies and two million other things you need for a trip round the block. I can’t deny it was a very relaxing experience watching Jess have her head gently kneaded, the soft lights and the music was rather lovely. Jess certainly seemed to enjoy it, and when it was time to leave I promptly paid and we both left feeling great, if only a little flummoxed as to what on earth the whole thing had been about. Still, you live and learn. Well you live at any rate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done for taking the bloggiing plunge Dulwich Dad! A male perspective is long overdue.

Cranial osteopathy does seem a bit wild and wooly but but our eldsest slept like, well - like a baby (those awful, countless sleepless nights!) after having it.

Can't hurt, I say!

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Hello Spymum - I may even give it a go myself, it might perhaps help to soothe the pain of what feels like a lifetime of late nights and early mornings.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry pet! It does get better (the sleeplessness that is). In four years, you'll both look around and marvel at where your gorgeous baby went!

I'd do it all again - if only I could persuade my husband!

dulwichmum said...

You do indeed sound like a lovely Dulwich daddy. I like the thought of you taking over while Mrs Dulwich gets herself sorted with the hairdresser.

Good man!

beta mum said...

I didn't take my kids, but if anyone had told me when child number one was refusing to sleep for longer than five hours at a time, that cranial osteopathy might nudge him towards a bearable 8 hours - I'd have trampled over people to get there.
Anything's worth a try.
My theory is that all blogger are from Dulwich - except me.

East of Dulwich said...

Cranial osteopathy -- don't knock it. More used to the macho school of hard cracks osteopathy, I was totally sceptical about it...until Simon T at the Vale Practice not only put me into a trance, but really sorted out my neck pain caused by overexercising with a laptop.