The Diary of a Commuter

Friday 4 May 2007

Once More Unto The Audi

It seems a strange thing to start a blog with, but the bank holiday is looming and I need a haircut. I am a man who likes to enjoy the best things in life, and wherever possible I will insist on quality before price every time. However when it comes to haircuts something has definately changed.

A haircut for me means popping to my local salon in East Dulwich where I can expect a deluxe 1 hour experience. Coffee, a consultation, shampoo, condition, massage, cut, blowdry, hair gloop, a warm atmosphere and a cold beer. For this I am cheerfully fleeced of £40.

However due to time restrictions during a recent lunch, I needed a cut, and I needed it fast. I was advised by a Advertising Director client of mine that there was a perfectly good barbers near my office that he used all the time. I turned up to a tiny turkish shop where nobody spoke a word of english. Using the international language of hair signing I successfully managed to convey my "style", whereupon the good barber proceeded to give me exactly the same cut I usually get for £40 an hour, but in 5 minutes for £5.

Now, call me old fashioned...

The bank holiday looms. Just when I thought it was safe to mooch about in the garden Mummy has just informed me that we have 372 kids birthday parties to attend followed by a 3 day tour of the south coast...

Once more unto the Audi my loves...

4 comments:

East of Dulwich said...

If you don't mind heading further east, there's a good old school barber on Forest Hill Road near the corner with Ryedale. Under a tenner for a dry cut, in and out in less than thirty minutes but it's byo coffee. I think it's called "Barber Shop".

Good luck with the blog but be warned it can take over your life.

dulwichmum said...

Welcome to Blog Land. I thought you were my husband sending me up when I read the title of your blog! We have an Audi too!!! East is right, this blogging can take over your life...

Best wishes,

DM

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Hello East of Dulwich - much appreciated advice. Unfortunately due to after work drinks on Friday I missed the opportunity to frequent the Turkish barbers in Islington. It was therefore with much apprehension, and some urgency that I headed out into ED on Saturday morning prior to the bank holiday excursion in need of a cut. By chance I came across Clippers on North Cross Road - which actually wasn't bad
at all, albeit slightly more expensive. I shall however, upon your recommendation, endeavour to venture further east on my next hair related excursion!

Tunbridge Wells Dad said...

Hello Dulwich Mum, and thanks for the welcome. As you can see i am most definately not your husband - one dulwich wife is more than enough for any man. I do enjoy your blogs though, and I shall attempt to shed similar insight (from the male perspective) on the cut and thrust of Dulwich parenthood! I will however endeavour to prevent this blog from consuming too much of dulwich daddy's oh so valuable time…